Do’s & Don’ts
So the key questions is how do you go about getting that all important job. Some do’s and don’ts:
- Research the net and look for areas in NZ which require your skill.
- Identify employers that specialise in your key skill areas.
- Identify recruitment agencies that specialise in your key skill areas.
- Update and refine your CV.
- Be willing to get on a plane and come and job search in person in NZ.
- Offer to phone potential employers and recruitment specialists at a time convenient to them.
- Get a realistic handle on your value in NZ$ terms.
- Pay someone to find you a job – recruitment specialists will be paid by the employer….if you find you have to do so ensure you are offered a range of jobs and do NOT feel pressured to taking the first/only one offered.
- Convert potential income in NZ$s to sterling – it will scare you!
- Be afraid to negotiate if you think the offer is below your market value.
- Be surprised by the package – in general benefits and sick pay are NOT offered as they are in the UK.
- Be afraid to get clarification if you are unsure of the language – kiwis speak English but not necessarily as you know it!